Editing and proofreading have long formed an integral part of my teaching and writing practice. I have honed these skills over many years, working with students, academics and professionals to help them produce text which is clear, accurate and well expressed.
My studies, teaching and writing have enabled me to develop a high degree of expertise in English grammar and punctuation, as well as a keen sense of what makes a coherent, truly readable text. I work across all subjects, including complex legal and scientific writing.
In my role as Series Editor, I have worked extensively with authors and publishers, taking books from early manuscripts to final pdfs. This has involved leading on the implementation of improvements to copy, formatting and presentation.
I work with Track Changes in Word or Adobe Acrobat in pdfs.
Editing and proofreading services
- Masters theses
- PhD theses
Expertise in the conventions of academic writing
Textbooks and educational materials
- Academic English
- Scientific English
- Legal English
- Business English
Expertise in scientific writing, especially chemistry
Articles and academic journal papers
I will improve the overall clarity and coherence of your text. This may involve revising content, structure, layout and formatting, as well as the correction and enhancement of language.
Ethical editing and proofreading
I am committed to ethical editing and proofreading. This means I will:
- Respect the integrity of the text. It is the author’s work and meaning, so I will not impose changes which might compromise this.
- Correct straightforward surface errors in grammar and punctuation, but make it clear where something is a choice rather than a ‘rule’.
- Apply appropriate stylistic conventions.
- Make suggestions regarding word and phrase choice, but make it clear that the author must be sure that a suggestion correlates with their original meaning.
- Try, particularly when working with students, to explain changes related to grammar or academic writing conventions with brief ‘developmental’ notes where I can do so quickly.
- Mark corrections and make comments and suggestions based on my knowledge and expertise, but make it clear that it is always up to the author to accept or reject these.
- Address issues of formatting and presentation.
- Improve the text to the highest standard possible, in line with academic and professional writing conventions. But I do not promise perfection: no text is perfect, and ‘perfection’ is ultimately a subjective concept. I will try to make it clear when a language choice may depend on the conventions associated with particular professions, academic disciplines or journals (not to mention the whims and preferences of individuals!).
I am a member of the Society of Proofreaders and Editors (SfEP).
If you would like to enquire about editing and proofreading services, email me at: email@example.com